Sunday, November 17, 2013

Squash Risotto

I have been a terrible, terrible blogger recently. When we first began our journey, it was so new and exciting that I could hardly wait to write my next blog post.

Now that we're SIX WEEKS into this journey, it is becoming much more routine (which is certainly not a negative thing). I am still excited to try new recipes (or adapt old favorites), but it doesn't seem like such a "big deal" anymore. Being this far into it, we rarely have to think about our food choices and we both feel so good about how we are fueling our bodies that the healthier choice is the easy choice.

In addition, I have been incredibly overwhelmed with school and my two jobs. I'm coming to the end of my graduate schooling and I am realizing I have more anxiety than I anticipated (for a number of reasons, several of which are out of my control). As for work, in a nutshell, I'm ready for just one full time job. Lately, I'm less concerned with blogging, and more concerned with trying to get all of my ducks in a row for school, work, and potential future career path(s). The free time I do have, I've been spending with my loving and encouraging husband.

I cooked an acorn squash the other day, and since Xavier isn't a fan of squash, I decided I would transform it into something he does enjoy. I do like squash and I ate as much of it as I could handle, but I had to "shake it up." I turned to a recipe that I used to use before we became vegan, adapted it to fit our needs, and it turned out beautifully! It's perfect for this weather.

Squash Risotto
Ingredients
1 quart vegetable stock
1 cup water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine (I used Mad Housewife Chardonnay)
10oz cooked squash (I used Acorn but the recipe calls for Butternut...use what you like)
Nutmeg to taste (probably 1/4tsp...it's best to start out with a very small amount and add more if you want to...it's pretty strong)
1/2 tsp sage (give or take...again, start out with a small amount and add more if you want)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Bring vegetable stock and water to a simmer in a pot and then reduce heat to low.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and soften for a few minutes. Add rice and toast for 2-5 minutes. Add wine and cook it out completely, stirring occasionally. Ladle in stock in intervals, a couple ladles at a time. Allow liquids to evaporate each time, while stirring. Risotto will cook for about 18 minutes, total, from the first addition of liquid. Add the squash during the last few minutes of cooking. Taste your risotto around the 18 minute mark to determine tenderness. You may need to add more liquid (I ended up having to add about 1/2 extra water to get it done how I like). Season with nutmeg, sage, salt, and pepper. Enjoy warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment