Thursday, December 19, 2013

Rilo

As many of you know, we have a new member of our household. Her name is Rilo. She isn't vegan - we just want her to be happy and healthy!

My buds on the ride home from Aberdeen.
So much to see! It's a big world out there!

She eventually settled down during the long
ride back to our home.


We have wanted a dog for quite some time now, and we had been talking about timing of things (house, kids, dog, etc.) and we started to do some research on different breeds that would be good for our lifestyle. We found Rilo's picture and knew that we had to visit her. We originally were going to wait until the Spring to get a dog, but we are so thankful to have her in our lives. We adopted her from the Aberdeen Humane Society just before Thanksgiving. They didn't have much information about her, but she seemed to be well behaved and mild mannered, so we took a leap of faith. We have been working on some things with her (like how protective she is of our "pack"), but after having her for about a month, we can't imagine life without her.

Rilo hates pictures - which typically results
in me making goofy faces.

Pre-Haircut


When we first brought her home, she needed some serious TLC and gentle grooming. I went to work with a scissors and cut a lot of her dreads and matted hair, and we worked on brushing her. We had to wait about a week to bathe her because she had just been spayed and we wanted to get her stitches removed and ensure proper healing before putting her in water. I tried bathing her by myself, which was a total disaster, but when Xavier got home from work, we were able to get the job done.

Those paws!! 

Thinking about it now, I'm glad we adopted her when we did. The winter months in South Dakota can get to be so dreary and draining, and Rilo does really lift our spirits. I feel so strongly that dogs can have a very positive effect mental health - some doctors even "prescribe" dogs to people with emotional turmoil or instability because they provide an outlet or something else to focus on besides "all of my terrible, awful, horrible problems." I'm not saying that I feel like I have emotional distress, but come Spring semester when I'm getting ready to defend for my Masters Degree, I will probably be very high stress, and it will be good to take Rilo for a run or just snuggle with her.

We weren't going to allow her on the
furniture, but we caved (only if we have a
blanket for her to lay on).

Bedtime Stories.

Xavier and I have had such a blast with our little pup. She is always making us laugh or making our hearts sing. I saw a car magnet a week or so ago and it made me smile - it said "Who Rescued Who?" Perhaps the grammar is a little wonky (I'll have to consult my husband on that), but I just loved the saying.

"Ruff" Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment