Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Finding Peace

Good evening, friends.

This adventure just keeps getting better and better.

As strange as it may sound, I feel as though I am seeing and experiencing things for the first time. I also am experiencing an unexpected, but welcomed, sense of calm. I feel much more reflective and introspective than before. I don't feel the need to fill "awkward silence" in conversations - I'm speaking much less, but getting my point across effectively. I'm very much enjoying being an observer and listener. I'm also realizing that it is okay to have quiet time (at home, at work, in the car, etc.), and I'm finding myself overwhelmed when I'm around people who aren't experiencing the same thing (i.e. people who talk a great deal). Not that there's anything wrong with talking, I just would rather talk less lately :)

I feel like I can think more clearly and handle stress a bit easier. I'm coming to the realization that not everything is urgent - the world will keep turning if I take it easy and breathe a bit. I actually sat down at work for a little bit today and ate a snack...and you know what? It was really nice! I'm usually just go-go-go when I'm at work, and I typically skip breaks (Jennifer, you didn't read that). The point is, things will get done when they need to, and I shouldn't stress about it so much because it doesn't do me any good. Is my schedule absolutely crazy with two jobs and grad school? Yes, most definitely. But I'll manage. And if I can't manage it all, I'll change something. Easy peasy (in theory).

Additionally, Xavier and I have already lost a few pounds, which is a nice little perk!

I just looked at my calendar to see where we are at in this journey, and it's hard to believe we have only gotten our toes wet. It feels so natural and my body is feeling so happy that it almost feels like we've been doing this for much longer. I'm also surprised that we're experiencing so many positive changes and feelings so early-on. I can hardly wait to see what will happen next. This has been such a positive experience so far, and I am so incredibly thankful for the support we have gotten from our friends and family.

This evening, my husband made a fantastic meal. Vegan Pad Thai. All of the dishes we've made have been really great, but this may be our new favorite. The flavors were so bright and delicious! I will definitely be requesting that one again. I'm sure he'll post the recipe on his blog, so stay tuned!

After dinner, Xavier wanted to watch a documentary about horror movies (happy October, 'eh?). During the first part of the documentary, I busied myself with baking a vegan dessert. Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins. I adapted the recipe from Post Punk Kitchen . I made two batches, and instead of making a loaf, I made muffins (hence the name). Additionally, I had a plethora of ripe pears that needed to be used up, so I used those instead of applesauce (I didn't have any on hand and didn't want to buy it). I made one batch with pumpkin, like the recipe calls for. The other batch was strictly pears (and a little extra oil for some moisture). In the batch with just pears, I adjusted the spices so it was more ginger-y. They smell divine. Interestingly enough, I'm not craving sweets like I did prior to starting this vegan adventure. We just took one of each, cut them in half, and sampled them. They are OUT. OF. THIS. WORLD. You can't even tell that they're vegan. I wish I would have recorded Xavier's initial reaction because it was absolutely priceless. I may need to take back that comment about not craving sweets ;) Note: if you follow the recipe and bake muffins like I did, you can get 12 cupcake-sized muffins, and they should bake for about 20-25 minutes.

    
Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins


Chocolate Pear Muffins
Hope you all have a fantastic evening! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment