Tuesday, October 1, 2013

THE BEGINNING (It's a Very Good Place to Start)


HELLO.

My husband and I are embarking on a new journey very, very soon. We are excited to share with you and we hope you receive our blogs well.


I have, for a period of time, been hooked on documentaries* aiming at changing our views of food. I watch with intrigue and wonder how we got so far off track. (I also just started reading a book by Jonathan Safran Foer called Eating Animals.) I’ve heard it is fantastic. On a basic level, food is for caloric energy to sustain life. Today, however, people eat for a multitude of reasons that may or may not include the aforementioned. People might eat because they are actually hungry (imagine that!), bored, happy, sad, thirsty (but mistake the feeling for hunger), and the list goes on. I am guilty of eating for many reasons beyond hunger. I am not afraid to admit it – if I own up to the (my) issues surrounding food, I can work to resolve them.

For the last week or so, my husband and I have been sharing our ideas about food and overall health. We have both read and seen some things that have pointed us both in the same direction: veganism. Now, before you jump to the conclusion that we’ve gone mad, I want to share some of what we’ve learned. I also want to share my own assumptions about veganism, along with my fears, hopes, and feelings along the way (mental and physical). We are not doing this to “get attention.” Rather, we are taking steps to better our own health, look at food differently, and appreciate what we have more than we do now. So we won’t eat highly processed foods…what we will eat will be all we need.

It is going to be hard at first. But if we stick with it, we believe it will be worth it.

I grew up in a meat-and-potatoes kind of household (this is pretty typical for South Dakotans). Meat was the main event and veggies were on the side. Thinking back, I was over-indulgent in the wrong foods (potatoes, too much dressing on a salad, extra cheese, etc.). While I have gone pescetarian (no red meat, no chicken, but fish is allowed) for a period of time (at least twice), the vegan lifestyle is much more drastic than anything else I have tried. This both scares me and is my motivation.

The questions I expect to hear (and will try to answer for you now):
Why in the world would you ever go vegan? 
In a word: health. Something that has been brought to my attention numerous times is the notion that we are over-fed and malnourished. How can that be? It’s simple: we’re eating too much of the wrong food (i.e. highly processed foods that trigger brain impulses that make us want more, more, more).

Are you some animal-rights activist now? 
Not neccisarily. Do I believe animals should be treated than they often are? Yes, certainly. However, that is not the driving force behind this decision.

Won’t you miss “real” food? 
The food we will consume will be real, nutritious, and beautiful. Now, if you’re asking if I’ll miss things like bacon, cheese, and so forth, the answer is: probably for a while. As I’m writing this (pre-vegan-journey), I’m eating a tortilla with some melted cheese for breakfast (what a pathetic “meal”). I’ve eaten all but two bites and the more I think about the journey I will soon embark on, the less I want to consume the last of our non-vegan groceries.

What will you do at social events? 
We’ll play it by ear. Maybe we’ll bring a dish to share, if at a household gathering. Maybe we’ll just eat before or after the event. Food is very social and can be powerful in bringing people together. My hope is that we can continue sharing meals and spending time with friends and loved ones. I do not foresee it being an issue, so long as we can respect each other.

Are you becoming a hippie? 
If hippies take proactive steps towards bettering their health, then, yes. However, the other activities hippies are assumed to engage in are not included in this personal journey. Note: this inspired me to listen to Bob Marley nearly all day.


Fears:
Time is already tight in my schedule. I am anxious about the amount of preparation for meals (but I know it will be worth it…plus I LOVE to cook).

Hopes:
I hope to gain a new perspective on food and a more positive perspective in my everyday life. I hope to plan meals in such a way that our wallets aren’t in distress. I hope for willpower (and a lot of it), especially when I am at work (one of my jobs is as a baker at a local coffee shop).

Assumptions:
It will be hard. Some people will support us. Some people will think we’ve gone off the deep end. I’m assuming the first week or so will make me feel like a child learning to ride a bicycle. I might feel confused, overwhelmed, discouraged, and like I just want to “junk out,” but as long as we have healthy food options available and people to lean on for support, it is doable.

Physical and Mental Feelings:
At the present moment, I am excited and anxious to begin this journey. We are working on purging our fridge this week and we’ve decided not to buy more groceries until we’re ready to gear up for this new adventure.

Beyond that, I feel tired so often. I wake up tired, walk through the day tired, and go to bed…you guessed it…tired. I am sluggish all the time. I often times feel bloated and “gross.” Granted, I am in Graduate School, commuting twice per week, working two jobs, and just have very little time for myself…so that is part of the issue. But I think diet is a bigger issue. I think changing my diet will be very beneficial.

Mentally, I’m tired of being tired! I also feel like I forget things often, I can’t focus very well, and I’m sick of feeling bloated and having to tell myself, “you look good, you look fine, don’t worry so much.” I want to be able to just get up, get ready for the day, and FEEL GOOD.

I plan to continue to document my thoughts, feelings (both physical and mental), and will probably post recipes as we try them. I will post about challenges faced, obstacles overcome, and anything else I see fit. I’ve browsed a few blogs lately and some of them have said the most important thing to keep in mind when transitioning into a vegan lifestyle is to forgive. You might eat something non-vegan without even thinking about it. Forgive yourself and move forward.

*Food, Inc., Food Matters, Forks Over Knives (these are the most recently watched).

Disclaimers:
First off, I think I should start by saying that this blog is for personal development during this journey. Positive comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated, but please refrain from negative feedback.

Second, and maybe I should have put this first…because this is for personal development, please, please, please do not use this as a replacement for advice from a medical doctor. I am not a MD; I don’t have background in nutrition science, etc. If you choose to implement any of my ideas into your lifestyle, great, but that is up to your own discretion.


No comments:

Post a Comment